Hot yoga has become very popular over the last decade. Many people love its benefits, such as improved flexibility and strength.
But did you know that hot yoga burns around 400 calories within a 60-minute session?
Hot yoga is a type of exercise that combines stretching, breathing exercises, and postures (poses).
This type of yoga is performed in rooms that have high temperatures, usually between 105 °F and 115 °F.
This helps increase blood flow and oxygen levels in the body.
While hot yoga may seem like a great way to get fit, it also burns a significant amount of calories.
If you want to lose weight, then hot yoga could be your answer.
Hot Yoga and Bikram Yoga are terms that are often heard together, but they aren't always the same thing.
Bikram Yoga is made up of 2 breathing exercises, and 26 poses, that are performed in the exact same order in each class, lasting around 90 minutes.
The average person who participates in Bikram yoga will burn about 500 calories during a 90-minute class.
That’s way more than you would burn in a regular class.
Hot Yoga, on the other hand, is regular yoga with the temperature of the room turned up.
It consists of a variety of poses and is considered less serious than Bikram Yoga as there is more interaction among those participating and more music being played.
With both practices, the heat from the room can help relax muscles and reduce stress. It also increases circulation and improves digestion.
These factors all contribute to burning more calories than normal.
Hot-Yoga For Weight Loss
If you want to take part in hot yoga for weight loss, then you need to understand what this type of workout does for you.
To begin with, it burns fat and builds muscle. You also have an increased metabolism because you are working out harder.
But there is one other benefit to doing hot yoga: it boosts your mood. When you practice hot yoga, you feel relaxed and energized.
Your mind becomes clearer and more focused. All these things make you happier, and happiness leads to success.
So if you want to lose weight by practicing hot yoga, then you should start today.
Find a local studio or instructor near you. Start small and work up to longer sessions.
You won’t regret it!
What Are Some Benefits Of Doing Hot-Yoga?
Yoga in general is a great form of exercise. It increases muscle strength, balance, and can improve mental clarity.
Practicing yoga in a room with such high temperatures allows for a number of added benefits:
- It can help improve flexibility, as the heat can help you stretch a little more.
- It burns more calories as the heat will allow you to sweat more.
- It can help relieve stress.
- It can give you a cardiovascular boost. Practicing yoga poses in a high-heat environment makes your lungs, heart, and muscles work a little harder.
- It can cleanse your skin, as sweating in such a warm environment can introduce more blood skin cells to the skin, nourishing you from the inside and out.
Hot Yoga VS Non-Hot Yoga
When you think of hot yoga, you probably imagine sweating profusely while doing various stretches and poses.
While that is true, not everyone enjoys the intensity of hot yoga. So which style of yoga burns more calories?
Non-hot yoga involves the same physical activity as hot yoga.
The main difference between the two is the temperature of the room in which they are performed.
It is the heat of the room that makes hot yoga a lot more calorie-burning activity than non-hot yoga.
However, even though hot yoga burns more calories than non-hot yoga, both types of yoga can still lead to weight loss.
In fact, studies show that both hot yoga and non-hot yoga can lead to weight loss.
A study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that people who practiced hot yoga lost more weight over time than those who did non-hot yoga.
This doesn't mean that hot yoga is always better than non-hot yoga for weight loss. But it does show that both styles of yoga can lead to weight gain and weight loss.
Which Type Of Yoga Is Best For Weight Loss?
As mentioned, both types of yoga can be used to lose weight, but each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
Hot yoga was derived from the practice “Bikram” yoga, which is named after its founder, Bikram Choudhury.
He developed his method of yoga in the 1970s. His method combines traditional Indian postures with heated rooms.
This helps increase blood flow throughout the body.
The result is that the body sweats during hot yoga. This makes you burn more calories than usual.
However, performing yoga in these conditions isn’t suitable for everyone. It can cause dehydration and overheating.
That means you may get dizzy or faint. In addition, hot yoga can be uncomfortable for beginners.
If you decide to try hot yoga, be sure to follow these tips from experts:
- Drink plenty of water before you begin.
- Wear loose clothing and bring a towel to wipe off sweat.
- Don’t practice hot yoga if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, asthma, epilepsy, glaucoma, kidney problems, or other conditions.
- If you feel lightheaded, dizzy, or nauseous during hot yoga, stop immediately.
- Be careful about practicing hot yoga if you have recently had surgery.
- Avoid practicing hot yoga if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Always check with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.
- Never practice hot yoga alone. Have someone else there to watch out for you.
- Make sure you drink enough fluids before and after you practice hot yoga.
- Take breaks every 15 minutes or so.
How Long Should You Practice Yoga To Burn More Calories?
You don’t need to spend hours practicing yoga to burn more calories.
Just 20 minutes of daily yoga will help you lose weight, but being consistent will help you see more results.
You should aim to do it at least three times per week. Experts recommend doing one hour of yoga per session.
But how long should you practice yoga to burn more calories? The answer depends on what type of yoga you choose.
For example, if you want to burn more calories while doing hot yoga, you should practice at least 30 minutes.
In general, experts say that the longer you practice yoga, the more calories you will burn.
As covered in this article, yoga is a great way to work on your strength, balance, and flexibility.
There are also an array of benefits that yoga has on the mind.
While regular yoga can help you lose weight, hot yoga can help you do this a little more, due to the high temperature of the room it is performed in.
Hot yoga can also be something fun you can try out with friends, so if you're up to the challenge, pick out a class and go for it!
- Is Cardio Bad for Skinny Guys? Debunking the Myth and Revealing the Truth - August 30, 2023
- Best Exercise Machine for Buttocks: Top Recommendations for Toning and Strengthening - August 29, 2023
- Best Exercise for Bigger Bum: Top Recommendations for Glute Growth - August 29, 2023