As you gain muscle strength and gradually increase the amount of weight you lift, you may start to notice limitations on the strength of your grip.
This is especially true when you’re performing deadlifts and other pulling exercises.
Losing strength in your grip doesn’t only limit your progress by restricting the weight you can lift, but can potentially lead to an accident as the weight could easily slip from your grasp.
Luckily, there is a solution, and it comes in the form of lifting straps.
Designed to improve your grip, a pair of lifting straps will allow you to pull more weight and ensure that you continue to make those sought after gains on every training session.
However, finding the perfect set of lifting straps can be a difficult task, especially with so many to choose from.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help! Below, we’ve put together a list of the best lifting straps you’ll ever find.
We’ve also included a buying guide that’s packed with information on what to look out for, as well as how to correctly use lifting straps.
Are you in a hurry? Let’s kick things off by taking a look at our top pick.
OUR TOP PICK
Harbinger Padded Cotton Lifting Straps
Rip Toned Lifting Straps
Grip Power Weight Lifting Hooks
OUR TOP PICK
Harbinger Padded Cotton Lifting Straps
Constructed from cotton, these Padded Lifting Straps from Harbinger will improve your grip while ensuring you’re as comfortable as possible while you train.
They also feature NeoTek cushion wrist pads that provide further comfort and take some of the pressure off your hands during heavier lifting sessions.
Their 21.5-inch extended length allows you to wrap them around the bar more times for an improved grip, and the 1.5-inch width increases the grip surface.
They’re also great for using all over the gym and the versatility of these lifting straps allows you to use them on dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, and more.
Heavy-duty stitching throughout adds to their durability and they also feature merrowed-end tabs to prevent them from fraying, even when you use them frequently.
These cotton lifting straps are fairly inexpensive too, so they would be a good choice for anybody working with a tight budget.
You also have the choice of various colors and patterns, allowing you to inject some personality into your weightlifting regime.
- The cotton construction improves your grip while ensuring you’re comfortable
- Features a NeoTek cushion wrist pad for extra comfort and protection
- Measures 21.5-inches long and 1.5-inches wide for an increased grip surface
- Also features heavy-duty stitching and merrowed-end tabs for durability
- Available in various colors and patterns
- Some people found that these lifting straps were a little stiff at first, however, it didn’t take long to break them in
Rip Toned Lifting Straps
These Lifting Straps from Rip Toned are made from a specially designed premium-grade cotton that is designed to be both strong and flexible.
This means that they don’t require breaking in and are ready to use straight out of the box.
They feature Soft-Tech Neoprene wrist padding that enhances their comfort and allows you to safely lift heavy weights with a reduced risk of losing your grip or injuring yourself.
Their 23-inch length also allows you to wrap the lifting straps around the bar more times and create an increased grip surface.
There is a wide choice of colors to choose from, so there is a style to suit any taste.
They are also suitable for use on all types of gym equipment including barbells, dumbbells, and even pull-up bars, these lifting straps are ideal for use all over the gym.
In fact, they’re so effective that many people have noted a 20% increase in what they are able to comfortably lift!
Their quality and durability are almost unrivaled too, and this is proven with the included lifetime warranty.
- Constructed from premium-grade cotton that is strong, flexible, and requires no breaking-in period
- Features Soft-Tech Neoprene wrist padding that adds further comfort and protection
- The 23-inch length allows you to wrap the straps around the bar more time and increase the grip surface
- Available in a wide choice of colors
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- The 23-inch length may be a little too long for some peoples personal preference
Grip Power Weight Lifting Hooks
If you have a preference for training solely with dumbbells or barbells, then these Weight Lifting Hooks from Grip Power could be a great choice for you.
Unlike a lot of lifting straps, they don’t wrap around the bar, but allow you to hook them onto the weight instead.
The heavy-duty, solid-steel hooks improve your grip on the weights, and their 600lb pull rating will really let you challenge yourself without any risk of losing your grip.
And, since you won’t have to worry about wrapping and unwrapping straps from a bar, you’ll be able to smash out more reps and utilize your gym time more efficiently.
These weight lifting hooks also feature Neoprene wrist straps that are 2-inches wider than most standard lifting straps.
This offers more wrist stability and allows you to lift safely, even when you’re taking on the heavier weights.
They also have a good amount of padding on the inside to keep everything as comfortable as possible and keep your mind focused on lifting, instead of being distracted by pinching or rubbing.
The included one-year warranty gives you peace of mind over their quality, and they are available in a huge range of colors.
- Designed to hook onto weights rather than wrap around them
- The solid-steel hooks give you an improved grip on weights up to 600lb
- Features Neoprene wrist straps that offer increased wrist stability
- Also features padding to keep your wrists comfortable and protected while lifting
- Available in a choice of colors and includes a one-year warranty
- Can take some getting used to if you’re more familiar with traditional wrist straps
Gymreapers Lifting Wrist Straps
Created by athletes, for athletes, these Lifting Wrist Straps from Gymreapers are constructed from highly durable cotton.
This gives you the power to improve your grip on heavy weights and ensures you’re comfortable at all times while you’re lifting.
The toughness of these wrist straps means that they won’t rip or tear, even when you’re lifting weights up to 600lbs.
Their 18-inch length also allows you to create a large grip surface area without too much annoying overhang getting in your way.
These lifting straps feature Neoprene padding to add further comfort and stability to your wrists, and they are versatile enough to use on all types of free weights and gym equipment.
They are also available in a variety of colors, allowing you to match them to the rest of your gym gear.
And, to top it off, their quality and durability are backed up by an included lifetime warranty.
- Made using highly durable cotton with a 600lb pull force
- The 18-inch length is perfect for creating a grip surface without any overhanging straps
- Can be used on all types of free weights and weight machines
- Features Neoprene padding to stabilize the wrists and keep you comfortable
- Available in a range of colors and includes a lifetime warranty
- Since the cotton is so durable, these lifting straps can take a few training sessions to break-in
Anvil Fitness Lifting Straps
These Lifting Straps from Avil Fitness are amongst the most durable you’ll ever find, and they have been designed to last a long time while still ensuring you’re comfortable when you’re lifting heavier weights.
This is mainly due to the super-strong, yet soft, cotton material used in their construction.
However, it’s not just the cotton that makes them so strong. The cross-stitched end details give them extra strength to take on heavier loads, and the hemmed ends prevent them from fraying over time.
As far as comfort is concerned, the 5mm thick Neoprene padding doesn’t only ensure you’re comfortable while lifting but also adds stability to your wrists.
The wrist-loops can also be adjusted for a more comfortable fit and this feature also makes it much easier to get them on and off.
The 22-inch length gives you the ability to wrap these straps several times around the weight and, paired with their 1.5-inch width, allows you to create a large grip surface.
These lifting straps are also available in a choice of three colors, which is ideal for matching with the rest of your gym gear.
- Super durable lifting straps made from premium-quality cotton
- Feature cross-stitched details and hemmed ends that add extra durability to the straps
- Also features 5mm thick Neoprene padding for enhanced comfort and stability
- The wrist loops can be adjusted for a more comfortable fit
- Measures 22-inches long and 1.5-inches wide, making it easy to create a large grip surface
- These wrist straps suffer from a common complaint among lifting straps, which is that they take a little while to break-in. However, after a few training sessions, they’ll soon loosen up
DMoose Lifting Straps
If you’re new to the idea of lifting straps and want something that can offer you as much comfort and protection as possible, then these DMoose Lifting Straps could be the perfect choice.
Not only are they constructed from super-strong, highly-durable cotton, but they also feature non-slip wrist support that is designed to stop the straps themselves from slipping while you lift.
The stitching featured throughout these lifting straps is also reinforced to provide them with extra strength.
Comfort has also been thought about with the design of these lifting straps, and they feature Neoprene padding on the wrist support which keeps your wrists cushioned and stabilized.
These lifting straps also feature an adjustable loop that allows you to securely and comfortably tighten them, and this also makes it much easier to take them on and off.
The 24-inch length is ideal for creating a large grip-surface on a variety of free weights and weight machines.
You’ve also got the choice of 6 colors to choose from, and they come complete with a lifetime warranty.
- Constructed from highly-durable and super-strong cotton
- Features a non-slip wrist support that stops the straps from slipping while you lift
- Reinforced stitching and hemmed ends add to the durability of these straps
- Also features neoprene padding on the wrist support for further comfort and stability
- The 24-inch length allows you to create a larger grip-surface
- Some people who previously bought these lifting straps noted an issue with the reinforced stitching feeling a little uncomfortable at first. However, as the straps became more flexible, this soon went away.
Serious Steel Figure 8 Straps
Designed for the serious powerlifter, these Figure 8 Straps from Serious Steel are capable of supporting your wrists and improving your grip on weights up to 1000lbs!
They are also designed to be easier to quickly put on, and there are no velcro straps or wrist loops to fuss with. Instead, you simply slip one hand through the back of the strap, loop the other end under the bar, put your wrist through the other end, and lift.
This makes them easy to use with all types of free weights as well as weight machines.
The super-strong cotton construction and reinforced seams all come together to make sure these lifting straps can take a great deal of abuse without showing any signs of damage.
The double & cross reinforced stitching adds even more strength and durability to these lifting straps, and their quality is backed up by a one-year warranty.
You have a choice of three sizes with these figure 8 lifting straps; 60cm, 70cm, and 80cm.
This allows you to find a size that fits perfectly to your wrists, rather than having to adjust the straps or rely on universal sizing. It’s also easy to increase the tightness around the bar, simply by twisting the straps.
- Designed for serious weightlifting and will improve grip and stability on weights up to 1000lbs
- Easy to attach to all free weights and weight machines
- Constructed from super-strong, high-quality cotton and features reinforced seams
- Also features double & cross reinforced stitching for added strength and durability
- Available in three wrist sizes, allowing you to find the perfect fit
- Despite being super durable, the included one-year warranty isn’t as generous as the warranty offered by some other brands
IronMind Strong-Enough Lifting Straps
If you’re looking for a simple set of straps that will improve your grip under a heavy weight, then the Strong-Enough Lifting Straps from IronMind are just what you need.
Their classic design allows you to safely lift weights as heavy as 500lb while ensuring you’re able to achieve a secure grip.
One of the things that a lot of people who previously purchased these straps liked was that they don’t feature any cushioning.
While this is usually something that most lifting straps include to ensure comfort, some weightlifters find it can get in the way. So, if you’re in that group, these lifting straps would also be a good choice.
The strong cotton construction won’t easily tear or stretch, even when you’re lifting heavier weights.
These lifting straps also feature hemmed ends and reinforced stitching to add to their strength and durability.
Adjusting the wrist-loops is easy too, and you simply need to slide the loops further towards your wrist to tighten. Likewise, the same method applies when you want to release your wrists from the straps.
- The simple, traditional design is ideal for anybody looking for an easy-to-use set of lifting straps
- These lifting straps don’t feature any padding, which is a preference for some weightlifters
- The cotton construction and reinforced seams allow for an improved grip on weights up to 500lbs
- Features hemmed-ends to prevent fraying even when used regularly
- Easy to adjust and wrap around all types of free weighs
- Since these lifting straps don’t feature any padding, they are good for improving grip but won’t add any extra stability to your wrists while you lift
Warm Body Cold Mind Wrist Straps
These Wrist Straps from Warm Body Cold Mind were designed by Olympic weightlifting champion Oleksiy Torokhtiy and, when you want a good set of lifting straps, there’s nobody like an actual expert to show you what you need!
The heavy-duty cotton and Neoprene construction allows you to lift up to 770lbs of weight with an improved grip, while the dual stitching ensures they don’t tear or stretch under pressure.
They also feature hemmed ends, so there’s a significantly lower chance of them fraying over time.
They are also designed to absorb sweat, rather than just wicking it away. This helps to keep you comfortable and stops the straps from slipping down your wrists while you’re lifting.
They’re highly versatile too and can be used on a variety of free weights and weight machines.
These wrist straps measure 22-inches long and 1.5-inches wide, which is ideal for creating a large grip surface area.
They are also available in two choices (with padding or without padding) as well as two color choices.
- Designed by Olympic weightlifting champion Oleksiy Torokhtiy
- Constructed from heavy-duty cotton and Neoprene for ultra-durability
- Can be used to improve grip on weights up to 770lbs
- Absorbs sweat to keep you comfortable and prevent the straps from sliding on your wrists
- The 22-inch length and 1.5-inch width allows you to create a large grip surface area
- The padding-free style of these lifting straps doesn’t offer the same amount of wrist support as the padded style, so this is something worth keeping in mind
Deselen Leather Lifting Straps
Cotton straps are super durable, but these Leather Lifting Straps from Deselen can really take a beating without showing any signs of damage.
They are naturally strong and can easily handle heavy weights while improving your grip.
They are comfortable as well and feature a thick, cotton lining inside the wrist loop that stops the straps from digging into your skin as well as stabilizing your wrists.
This lining is also sweat-proof, so there’s no need to worry about them slipping or irritating your skin while you lift.
These leather lifting straps have a 23.5-inch length and a 1.5-inch width, so you’ll be able to wrap them around the bar a few times to create an increased grip surface.
The wrist loops are also really easy to adjust, and all you need to do is simply slide the tab towards or away from your wrist to tighten and release.
Complete with a 2-year warranty, these genuine cowhide leather wrist straps will improve your grip and help you increase your weight load while remaining in great condition for years to come.
- Constructed from genuine cowhide leather for ultimate durability
- Features a thick, soft, padded cotton lining inside each wrist loop for added comfort and support
- Are sweat-proof, so they won’t slip or irritateyour skin while you train
- Each strap measures 23.5-inches long and 1.5-inches wide, which is ideal for creating a large grip surface
- Comes complete with a two-year warranty
- Only available in one color and size
Best Lifting Straps Buying Guide
You might think that purchasing a pair of lifting straps is a fairly simple task. Or, perhaps you’ve been given a recommendation by somebody at the gym, but you’re unsure about whether they’re the best fit for your needs.
However you’re feeling about the shopping process, there are some key things you need to think about when it comes to finding the best lifting straps.
Below, we’ll go through some key points which will help steer you in the right direction and find the perfect lifting straps the first time around.
The first, and arguably the most important thing to consider when you’re looking at lifting straps is the material they are made of.
You have a couple of choices here, and each is a little different from the other. Let’s take a look at each of them below.
Cotton the most common material you’ll come across when you’re shopping for lifting straps.
These are super comfortable and will provide you with a good amount of grip strength, even when you’re lifting particularly heavy weights.
Cotton lifting straps are also a good choice for anybody that finds themselves sweating a lot while they train, as they absorb moisture rather than wicking it away.
This means that there’s a reduced chance of the straps slipping on your wrists, and you’ll generally just feel more comfortable.
If there’s one downside to cotton lifting straps, it’s that they can have a tendency to stretch over time. This is especially true if you’re lifting very heavy weights.
However, many cotton lifting straps come with lifetime warranties, which will cover you for a replacement if your straps do begin to show signs of wear and tear.
Leather lifting straps are naturally durable and won’t stretch over time in the way that cotton lifting straps might.
They’re also super comfortable and are softer on the skin than some cotton alternatives since they take less time to break in.
Leather lifting straps are one of the most aesthetically pleasing options available too and, while this won’t have much of an impact on your performance, it’s always nice to train in style!
However, leather does come with a higher price tag than cotton, so they aren’t the ideal choice if you’re trying to stick to a budget.
They also don’t absorb sweat so, while they are more immediately comfortable, you may find them slipping on your wrists while you’re lifting.
You’ll notice from our choices above that lifting straps come in a variety of lengths. But why is this? And is it really that important? Put simply, yes, it’s actually one of the most important things you need to keep in mind.
The length of your chosen lifting straps will determine how well it fits your hand and how many times you can wrap it around the bar of a weight.
The more times you can wrap it around, the more of a grip surface you’ll be able to create, so it shouldn’t be too short.
Likewise, it shouldn’t be too long. This can leave you with a lot of excess strap that could potentially get in your way and cause an accident.
The length of your lifting straps will be a personal thing and will be based on your specific needs.
However, you can easily figure out how long you need them to be by doing a test run with a fellow gym-goers strap before purchasing your own.
Again, this is a choice of personal preference, and a lot of weightlifters prefer to use lifting straps that don’t have any padding.
However, what padding will do is provide your wrists with an extra level of support, which is essential when you start moving your way up towards the super heavy weights.
Lifting straps that have built-in padding (usually in the form of Neoprene) will also bring an extra level of comfort to your lifting experience.
This means you’ll be able to concentrate more on your lifting and not have to worry about the straps pinching or becoming uncomfortable.
To perform each lift confidently, you need to make sure that you feel confident in the lifting straps you’re using. This is where their design comes into play.
Lifting straps are available in a huge range of colors and patterns, which makes it easier to find a pair that you feel confident wearing.
This also gives you the opportunity to match your lifting straps with the rest of your gym equipment, inject a bit of personality into your workout, and really make that obligatory post-workout selfie pop!
If you’re finding that you’re losing grip strength as you make your way through the weight rack, a set of lifting steps would be the perfect addition to your gym gear.
These won’t only help you improve your grip, but you’ll also be adding more stability to your wrists, which makes it much safer to take on super heavy weights.
But, as with all gym equipment, the lifting straps you choose will be personal to your own needs.
However, if you follow the advice we’ve outlined above it will be much easier to find the best lifting straps the first time around.
How to use Lifting Straps Correctly
Each pair of lifting straps has a unique way of being worn and you should always pay attention to any instructions included with them.
However, the majority of lifting straps all follow one basic method:
- Thread the ends of the straps through the wrist-loops.
- Put the straps on your wrists.
- Wrap the ends of the straps around the weight’s bar, holding onto the weight as you do so.
- Place your hands over the grip surface you’ve created with the remaining length of the straps
- Roll the bar towards you until the weight is in the correct position.
- Lift the weight.
It’s that simple!
Following these instructions will ensure you’re using your lifting straps correctly and give you the ability to improve your grip when you’re lifting heavier weights.
You can also use wrist straps on pull up bars, as well as several weighted machines around the gym.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best weightlifting wrist straps?
This is really a case of personal preference. There are four main things you need to consider when choosing the best weightlifting wrist straps; material, length, padding, and design.
Giving a little thought to each of these will help you find the best lifting straps for your own needs. However, if you’re looking for an excellent all-rounder, you can’t go wrong with Harbinger Padded Cotton Lifting Straps.
Is using lifting straps considered cheating?
Despite what you might hear around the gym, using lifting straps is not cheating on your workout.
When you use lifting straps, you’re able to improve your grip and your wrist stability.
This makes it possible to progress to heavier weights. So, while some people may consider lifting straps as a way of cheating, they are, in fact, an excellent tool for helping you make progress.
- What Size Ball for Cardio Drumming? Amp Up Your Performance! - August 27, 2023
- Why Is My Cardio So Bad? Tips and Tricks to Improve Your Endurance - August 26, 2023
- What is a Squat Plug? Legit or Not - April 3, 2023