In this article, we will discuss the how-tos and tips to help you get started in developing and strengthening those back muscles with this fun yet effective exercise. Plus, some variations and alternatives that you can add to your routine. So, read on and get those muscles working!
How To Do Bench Press Machine Shrugs
For the bench press machine shrug, you will need to find a bench press machine. Preferably one with a bench you can move out of your way. Stand between the handles, facing the weight stack. Set your feet shoulder-width apart and grab the handles using an overhand grip. You may have to bend forward a bit to grab the handles of the machine.
Stand straight as possible and allow the weights to pull your shoulders down and forward as far as your body allows.
Using your trapezius, shrug your shoulders as high and to the rear as you can. Then lower it back down to the initial position. This is one rep. Repeat movement until desired number of repetitions is achieved.
- Keeping your core and glutes engaged all throughout can reduce the chances of any strains or injuries, especially in your neck and back area.
- Avoid leaning too far forward by maintaining a straight and neutral back and an elevated chest.
- Stand on something if you are too short to allow your shoulders to be low enough in the start position.
- You can stand with your back to the machine for a variation of this exercise.
- Great trap isolation
- You will also feel this in your forearms and upper pecs
- Forearm Muscles
- Upper Pecs
Bench Press Machine Shrugs Variations
- Leverage Machine Shrugs
- Trap Bar Shrugs
Bench Press Machine Shrugs Alternatives
Back Exercises Guide
- Barbell Power Cleans
- Barbell Shrugs
- Dumbbell Shrugs
- Barbell Upright Rows
- Cable Upright Rows
- Dumbbell Upright Rows
- Dumbbell Bent Laterals
- Stiff-Legged Deadlift
- Good Mornings
- Bench Rows
- Dumbbell Bent Rows
- One Arm Bent Rows
- T-Bar Rows
- Seated Pulley Rows
- Standing One Arm Low Pulley Rows
- Cable Row Machine
- Pullover Machine
- Behind-The-Neck machine
- Chin Ups
- Why Are My Glutes Weak? Understanding the Causes and Solutions - September 17, 2023
- Is Running Good for Glutes? An Expert’s Opinion - September 13, 2023
- What is the Best Exercise for Glutes and Thighs: Top Workouts for Toning and Strengthening - September 10, 2023